A note on starchy carbohydrates:
*If your goal is fat loss: Starchy carbs are fine in moderation at other times besides post workout. However, be mindful of the portion sizes and pay attention to your progress. If you feel that you are stalling, cut back a bit and see how you feel.
*If your goal is body recomp/maintenance: you can have portions of starchy carbs as you like so long as you enjoy them and they are not interfering with your goals.
*I have noted starchy carbs in the different snack options!
Snack Ideas That Support Your Fitness Goals:
- Smoothie: 1 scoop protein powder ½ banana, handful of greens and 1 tbs peanut butter.
- Smoothie: 1 scoop of protein powder with unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup of berries, 2 cups of spinach and 1 tbsp almonds.
- Smoothie: 1 scoop protein powder with unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup berries, 1/4 cup granola (starchy), 1 tbsp nuts or nut butter.
- 2 hard boiled eggs and 2-3 cups of steamed or raw vegetables, 10-15 almonds.
- 1-2 hard boiled eggs, 1/4 cup oats (measured dry) (starchy), handful of berries, 1 tbsp nut butter.
- 2 hard boiled eggs, small/medium piece of fruit, 10-15 almonds or 1 tbsp peanut butter.
- Apple with 1 tbsp peanut butter and 1 scoop protein powder mixed with unsweetened almond milk.
- 2-3 oz canned tuna with ½ apple and 1 tbsp nut butter of choice
- 1 cup low/no fat greek yogurt with 2 oz blueberries and 10-15 almonds, add cinnamon and stevia if you’d like!
- 2 oz canned tuna with small apple and 1/2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 oz of turkey breast with carrot sticks and 1/2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 hard boiled eggs and 1-2 cups raw or steamed veggies, 1/2 avocado
- 2 oz turkey breast, ½ avocado and 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 cup of non-fat greek yogurt or cottage cheese with 1/2 scoop of protein powder, berries and slivered almonds
- Banana, protein “nice cream”
- In a blender put 1 frozen banana, ice, unsweetened almond milk or water and 1 scoop of protein powder. Top with ½ oz of slivered almonds or 1 tbsp peanut butter. **This also works great with any other frozen fruit**
- 2 oz turkey breast, 1/2 sweet potato (starchy), 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup low/no fat greek yogurt or cottage cheese, 1/4 cup whole grain granola (starchy), 1 tbsp nut butter.